Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day


Well, I suppose I should keep trying to update this thing! I started this post a week ago, but things got hectic. More on that later.

Our little family decided to attempt the 8 hour drive to my family reunion in Iowa over Labor Day weekend and I'm happy to say, we survived... though just barely. The drive there was excellent with Zoey sleeping the entire drive and Zan behaving great. The drive home... well... it was, in a word, LOUD. Let's just say that when not sleeping, Zoey does NOT like to travel. And since Zoey only slept about 40 minutes total of the 8 hours we were in the car, she screamed the other 7 hours and 20 minutes. You might assume I'm exagerating. Trust me, I am not. It was painful. Even Zan, who was quite well behaved, was asking her to be quiet. I'm not sure why she refused to sleep, though the fact that she has a cold had, I'm sure, something to do with it. So by the time we all got home, we were on noise overload. Poor little Zoey cuddled up in her bed and zonked out for the rest of the night. We were all glad to be home again.

But we did have a great time in Iowa and I've got the pictures to prove it! :) For those of you who don't know, each year we drive to Northern Iowa to my aunt and uncle's farm to get together with my dad and his sister's branches of the family. It makes for a full house and we always enjoy spending the evenings laughing together in the garage turned rec room playing games and eating desserts. Our days are spent in various outdoor activities- fishing and hiking, working in the veggie gardens, driving the tractor (yes, even I've done this!!), cooking, playing games, relaxing on the porch, and generally having a good time. It's especially fun for us city folk to do the farm activities that country folk do each day. This year Zan got to help haul wood and dig up potatoes, which he really enjoyed.


We all enjoyed the gorgeous weather and the relaxation.


Camp fires, and the end of the weekend bonfire, are always a big part of our Labor Day get together. There's nothing quite like sitting by a roaring fire on a starry night. Zan always enjoys this experience for so many reasons, from learning about the science of the fire to eating the snacks we cook using it.


Yes, my child is covered in marshmallow. VERY sticky marshmallow. Each night we were there we lit the fire pit and toasted marshmallows. Zan LOVED this part of the evening more than anything. And of course, his enjoyment of it is visible all over his little face.

There is no denying my sister in law Haley loves babies! That means that little Zoey is totally spoiled by her.


Alexander LOVES his Uncle Kent. My brother claims to be uncomfortable around kids, but Zan doesn't seem to notice this or care. For some reason Zan claims with each visit that he must fight him. Hilarity ensues.
While we are on the topic of people who adore each other, I have to say, Zan and Zoey are the best of buds. I continue to be amazed at how great Zan is with his sister and how much he seems to love her. She, in turn, lights up every time he enters the room. It's just too darn cute. Scott and I adore each other too, even after 8 hours of driving. Amazing.


Zan adores being an ornery little camera ham.

PaPa adores his newest grandchild! And she's pretty fond of him too. :)
I really do have more photos to add, but for the sake of getting this online before NEXT Labor Day, I'll hold off.

1 comment:

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

a great weekend! The kids are adorable!